Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Twelve Questions to Address About Distance Learning



One of my favorite comments to myself about education and working with students is from James Thurber (if you don’t know Thurber, you are likely under 70), “It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.” 

In that regard, in this blog post, I am seeking to identify the questions I should ponder as I assess this past semester’s experience and look forward to other possible distance learning adventures in the future. 

I left home for Spring Break on March 6 as a face-to-face teacher.  I returned on March 10 as a distance learning teacher.  Like most teachers in this position, I had no time to plan or develop ideas.  I had two courses to prep and 64 students to manage.  For the following weeks, all I could do was react, encourage, and experiment.  My normal motto of, “Do no harm,” was even more in my mind.  Some things worked better than I expected.  Other things flopped or just were not effective or efficient.  My students, though, seemed to work hard and had a great deal of patience for what I was trying to accomplish. 

Now, though, the semester is winding down.  I want to learn.  I want to do better.  I want to consider how I should adapt.  I want to open my eyes to new possibilities. 

So, I made up of a list of questions that I wanted to address with myself and with other folks that I know, especially those people who know more about distance learning than I do.  My list of questions is evolving but here is what I have so far. 

1 - How would you describe your classes (a) historically and (b) going forward – totally live, blended (a mix of online and live), all online/distance learning or something else?

2 - How many students do you normally have in a class?  Given your traditional style of teaching, what’s a maximum number that you could teach reasonably well?  How many could you teach well using distance learning?

3 - In a live class, teachers traditionally convey information through a textbook, other assignments, and classroom sessions.  What are the ways that you can convey information in a distance learning environment?

4 - In a live class, students are “encouraged” to actually prepare for class through graded assignments, pop tests, calling on people in class, participation grades, etc.  How do you get students in a distance learning class to do the assigned work and do it at the appropriate time?

5 - In a live class, scheduled class sessions form a structure.  If you plan to talk about Chapter 16 at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, then all of the students need to be ready for Chapter 16 by 9 a.m. on Wednesday.  In a distance learning class, how do you create a structure that keeps students reasonably well together?  Or, are you more inclined toward self-paced and don’t care whether students stay together or not?

6 - Colleges talk a lot about the development of critical thinking skills.  In a live class, that process is often initiated by using probing questions or assignments designed to help students begin to “connect the dots” for themselves.  In distance learning classes, how do you help students develop their critical thinking skills?

7 – In live classes, the assessment of critical thinking skills can be extremely difficult.  How can that be accomplished in distance learning?

8 - In a live class, if students start to get lost or confused, they can pose questions in class, they can come to office hours, or they can send emails.  Or, as the teacher, I can recognize that they are struggling through their answers or body language and ask them to come see me.  How do students pose questions to you in distance learning classes?  How can you encourage those questions?

9 - In a live class, the professor can give students tests 2 or 3 times per semester (or as needed) to assess grades but also to help students get feedback as to how they are doing.  In distance learning classes, how do you assist students in determining how they are doing and how often do you do this?

10 - In a live class, the teacher can watch the students and have a reasonable feeling that they are not cheating on tests.  In distance learning, how do you prevent students from cheating? 

11 - In a live class, grades are normally determined using some combination of papers, tests, and other factors.  How do you assess grades in a distance learning class? 

12 - Do you know anyone who teaches blended or online classes (anywhere) who really seems to have the knack for creating great courses?  I am sure there are people out there who really do a great job.  I’d like to talk with them but first I have to find them.  How do I find those people and how can I best learn from them? 

There are probably a gazillion other questions that I should be asking but this dozen provides a foundation for my exploration.  Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment