Monday, July 27, 2020

GETTING MY STUDENTS READY FOR THE FALL – STEP ONE – GUIDED READINGS




Regardless of whether you are teaching live in the fall or a hybrid class or using totally distance learning, it is important to help your students get ready for a new experience.  Most of them are sitting at home bored and scared.  They have no idea what to expect.  Maybe worst of all, they have no reason to believe it is going to work.  That is a problem that I don’t think many schools have yet addressed. 

Therefore, I am in the process of making a series of 3-5 short videos that I will email to my fall students so they will know what to expect and why I am doing this.  I have long argued that the number one factor in becoming a good teacher is creating student faith in you.  If they believe in you, they will do what you ask no matter how complex the assignments might be. 

Ask yourself:  What have you done to convince your students they should have faith in you for the coming semester?  I think that is a very valid question. 

Last week, I sent out my first video (the link is below) to help them see how I am building an outstanding course for them for this fall.

A lot of education begins with, “Read Chapter One in your textbook.”  I think that is a problem.  Students struggle to read the textbook and often wind up feeling frustrated and stupid.  That is a bad way to begin each chapter.  The material is complicated and is often only understandable to someone who has already finished the course.  For each new crop of students, textbooks can destroy self-confidence and kill their interest in the topic.  That’s no way to develop any faith or enthusiasm.

Therefore, for my classes, I created “Guided Reading” assignments to help the students get through each section of the textbook effectively.  I want them to arrive at the first class with a basic understanding of the essential material.  That is why they pay the money to buy the textbooks.  In most cases, that level of understanding will not come from an unaided student reading.  I think it is naïve to assign a complex reading assignment and expect students to gain much from it without some help.

I developed these “Guided Readings” using PowerPoint slides because they are necessarily sequential and anything that is presented to students sequentially has a better chance of success. 

Okay, assume you are a college sophomore and you have signed up for my introductory class this coming fall semester.  I email you this video.  If I have done this well, it should help you:

--Realize that I do have an idea on how to make this semester work.
--Start to see how the course is built (in our school’s Blackboard system).
--Feel a bit of excitement about the upcoming semester.  Maybe stop being quite so scared or uncertain.

Watch the video and see if I have been successful at any of these three.

(If you would like to receive a PowerPoint Reading Guide for a textbook chapter, send me an email at Jhoyle@richmond.edu.)





No comments:

Post a Comment