Monday, March 14, 2022

Teaching Idea -- Zoom Video Conversation

I have always loved Sunday morning news shows where 3-5 “experts” sit around and have a conversation about some item in the news.  It just seems to me to be a relatively casual way to learn more about a topic in an interesting manner.  Not a lecture – just a conversation.  I’ve always wanted to bring that informal feel to discussions about my own classes.   I wanted to introduce the students to my thinking about the class and the material and how they are doing.

So, today, the student tutor for my introductory course and I had a conversation about the upcoming second test in the intro course.  Without any practice, we just chatted about the course and how to do well.  Casual stuff.  We recorded the conversation on Zoom and then posted it to YouTube.   If I had not had a class tutor, I would have invited a senior to be part of the conversation or, perhaps, a colleague.  Just someone to have a conversation with about the course.  

I don’t know how it will work out, but I like to try ideas that I have never seen before (just to see how they might work).  This is one that you might enjoy trying yourself.  It really is simple.  The email where I introduced this to my students is below along with the URL.  I don’t think you’ll want to watch the whole thing (it is NOT “The Power of the Dog.”) but a few minutes might push your own creative imagination. 

** 

 To:  Accounting 201 Students 

From:  JH 

I wanted to do something that would help you get started in your thinking about Test Number Two which is about 165 hours away (not that I'm counting).  So, Ms. St. John and I made a Zoom video where we chatted about your class, about Test Number Two, and about doing well.  I hope you'll watch it.  I think you might find the advice helpful.  But, none of this will be on the test.  Just meant to help you start the preparation process. 

Here is the URL. 

https://youtu.be/knbnA4avn8U


No comments:

Post a Comment