Monday, July 20, 2026

GET YOUR STUDENTS INTERESTED IN THE FIRST DAY OF CLASS


(Just a reminder that my new book, 100 Conversation Starters to Develop Student Critical Thinking in Intermediate and Financial Accounting Courses, is available as a free download at https://scholarship.richmond.edu/bookshelf/400/ )

**

I have already written my fall semester students 2-3 times just to touch base and send them some information to ponder.  This morning I sent them the first problem we will discuss this semester.  There is something about seeing a class problem (especially a bizarre class problem) that makes the semester begin to come alive.  It usually catches their attention.  Below is the email in its entirety.  Can you see how many things I am trying to accomplish with this one email?  Not every student will read it carefully but many will and this is the start of getting  them intrigued about what we are going to accomplish this semester.

** 

7/20/2026

To:  Accounting 302 Students

From:  JH 

Our class starts in five weeks from today.  If you are half as excited as I am, this will be the greatest class of your life.  So, one of your responsibilities is to be at least half as excited as I am.   Your attitude is up to you.  Be bored and you'll hate this class.  Be grumpy and you'll hate this class.  Be intrigued, be interested, be ambitious, be willing to take a chance, and you'll love this class.

I suspect everyone knows that I use the Socratic Method exclusively.  In other words, I call on people because I am curious as to what they think and how they will respond. 

Before they attend my class, students often react with terror to the idea that they will be called on.  I’ve had students change majors rather than face the “brutality” of being called on in class.

I could understand this fear if you were all 9 years old.  However, you are all adults.  Being called on for your thoughts and ideas during a business meeting should be an experience you crave.  My class is the same.  I hope that you want to be part of the action and not a mere spectator. 

One student in one of my recent student evaluations wrote, “I think the Business School should make cold calling a mandatory part of every class.”   I have no idea who wrote that but I would suspect it was a student who came to realize the importance of being actively engaged.

If I had one piece of advice, it would be, “Don’t let your fears lock you down and prevent you from trying.  I realize that we all hold a self-perception that begins with the words, ‘I cannot do that’” but I promise you that I will not embarrass you or make fun of you.  I just want to hear what you think.

Here is one of the first questions that I will ask you when the semester gets started.  “Company A has a debt to a bank.  Company A is reporting its financial statements for December 31, 1972, and the year then ending.   The financial statements need to be in conformity with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP).   The financial statements will be released on February 12, 1973.  The debt comes due on April 1, 1973.  The debt might be paid with $200,000 in cash, or the debt might be paid with 10 acres of land that are worth $200,000.   On 12/31/1972, should the debt be reported as a current liability or a noncurrent liability?”

The reason I’m setting this question in 1972 is that FASB was created in 1973, so at the time of this question, rules were pretty slim.   How, then, at that time, is the independent auditor able to assert that the reporting is “presented fairly in conformity with U.S. GAAP”?   That’s always our goal.

Why was there no direct accounting rule for this particular question in 1972?

Coming out of World War II, the American economy (and the world economy) heated up quickly.  The stock market, which had been practically nonexistent during the Great Depression became much more important as people started investing in all those newly thriving companies.

 

At that time, there were mostly accounting principles (such as conservatism and matching expenses with revenues) rather than a lot of hard and fast rules.  During the 1950s, U.S. GAAP was a squishy concept.  In most cases, U.S. GAAP was pretty much what companies were able to justify.

From the late 1950s until the early 1970s, the Accounting Principles Board was a part-time board of public accountants (they all had other jobs that took up much of their time) who met periodically and created about 3 rules per year on major areas such as computing earnings per share or recognizing income taxes.  U.S. GAAP slowly started to become more substantial.  That was a nice start but a very slow process considering how fast companies were growing and how complex financial reporting was becoming (and how very much money was involved).

Probably not surprisingly, there were a lot of accounting scandals around this time that raised the question, “Can accountants be trusted to create a legitimate set of accounting rules or should we turn the process over to the government?”  In 1973, the Accounting Principles Board was killed and replaced by a free-standing group (they raise money from a lot of sources so that they can say that they are truly independent) known as the Financial Accounting Standards Board or FASB.   The board members were full-time and paid well to create sound accounting rules.  They took a long time and studied each possible new rule carefully.  Rules were passed and if they worked well they are still in existence today.  If they didn’t work well, they were replaced or modified or expanded.  As you would expect, FASB focused on those areas of financial reporting that seemed to cause the most problems.  Few companies have gone bankrupt because of Prepaid Rent so FASB hasn’t spend time on Prepaid Rent.  Over the decades, accounting principles became less important (conservatism which once ruled accounting is no longer nearly as important) as more rules were created.

Over the years, the Emerging Issues Task Force was formed to provide quick answers to newly-developing problems that were being encountered.  The EITF did not create U.S. GAAP but, rather, would tell people which parts of the accounting rules should be applied to specific situations.  If FASB liked that, it left the EITF advice in place.  If FASB didn’t like that, it would put the topic on its agenda to be studied.

GASB was eventually formed to create U.S. GAAP for state and local governments.

FASB (after a big debate with GASB) took over the rule-making for private not-for-profit entities (such as charities).

Special rules were created for private businesses as alternatives for those required of publicly-held businesses.

Concepts statements was produced that did not provide any rules at all but served as a theoretical foundation for the application of rules and principles.

Eventually, there were so many rules that FASB had to created the ASC (the Accounting Standards Codification) to provide an organizational structure for all those rules.

So, if the original question is, “Should the debt at the beginning of this essay be a current liability or a noncurrent liability if reported in 1972?” you have to figure out a logical answer based on a strong understanding of U.S. GAAP at that time.   Because of the evolution of U.S. GAAP, I suspect one answer would have been prevalent in 1972, a different answer would have been prevalent 10 years later, and even another answer would have been prevalent 20 years later. 

In class at our first class of the semester, we’ll try to figure out what an appropriate answer to this reporting question would have been in 1972.   In subsequent classes, we might change that answer based upon changes in time.  Evolution happens, especially in US GAAP.

However, at no time is it easy to find a specific answer for this question in U.S. GAAP.  You have to get the answer by understanding what U.S. GAAP is telling you AT THAT TIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment